10-26-15 Don’t Graze Like a Bunny!



I hate it when my dog eats grass because I know he will barf it back up in the house. I try to tell him not to graze like a bunny, but he sneaks in nibbles when he gets the chance. I can’t get him to fess up about why he is doing this, but many people tell me it is because his stomach is upset.

Eureka, I just learned something! Jonah was complaining that the seaweed was wrapped around his head – he gave the fish a tummy ache!

Imagine Jonah in the cold, damp dark stomach of the fish. Its sides constantly pressing in on him – especially in deep water. The digestive juices kept trying to digest him. All his fussing and fuming created gas. At times the fish would regurgitate some of the seaweed he had eaten, but Jonah wouldn’t go back up the fish’s gullet. Jonah perhaps caused an intestinal blockage, too. Any other food in there with Jonah began rotting creating more gas. The poor fish struggled to keep from going belly up for three days and three nights! Jonah’s sin affected an innocent sea creature. He made the thing sick.

I see stuff like Bruce Jenner winning Woman of the Year and feel like I need a large bottle of Pepto Bismol. Does his sin really affect others? How about his wife that he is no longer married to because of his choice? How about his kids? How about friends and relatives? How about the influence he may have on others? How about watching a man stomp around in a dress?
Our sin affects others – my sin affects others.

“For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.“ Jonah 2:3-6.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/10/26/483

No comments: