11-18-15 How Many Second Chances?


The furniture store ad said, “Don’t wait. Going out of business. Last chance! Snag these deals before they are gone! Deal of the century! Will never be available again. ” That sounds so imminent. Decision time. Pressure. What to do, what to do.
Turned out that the store had been going out of business for over a year. They must have reordered a time or two during their going-out-of-business sale. I don’t know whether I would actually have a second chance to take advantage of the deal or not. I hate hard sell practices like this, but I do like second chances.

I wonder how many “second chances” God gave me before I trusted Jesus as my Savior. I can only speculate how many “second chances” He had given me before He stepped in and chastised. I couldn’t begin to guess how many times He has protected me or blessed me and I didn’t even know it. I wonder how many “second chances” I have used up and how many I have left. Hmmm.

The Assyrians didn’t speculate on whether they would have another chance later. They acted upon the opportunity when it came. God had given them a chance and honored their repentance. Maybe the next chance would have been the last chance. They realized they shouldn’t take the chance that there wouldn’t be another chance.  
“And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.” Jonah 3:10.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/how-many-second-chances/

No comments: