11-17-15 Pray


Pray for France. Pray for America. Pray that ISIS is wiped from this earth. Pray for God’s blessing on us.

Aren’t we arrogant? I know I can be. I don’t think of it that way, but it’s true. I expect God’s blessing when I ask for it without any change of heart or direction. I have no problem praying for France, or America. But shouldn’t they be expressing mourning and repentance to God? The cruel Assyrians did. Shouldn’t America repent of abortion, Planned Parenthood, LGBT rights etcetera, etcetera, etcetera?

Once we have our hearts right, shouldn’t we be praying for ISIS to repent and turn to Jesus? Shouldn’t we be praying that our President humble himself before God and trust Jesus? Shouldn’t we be praying that people turn to God to take care of our enemies? Shouldn’t we repent before we pray?

Jonah’s message was only that God would destroy them in forty days. He gave them no hope and no way out. But God had prepared their hearts and they believed the message and showed mourning and repentance. They didn’t continue in their sin and expect God to not destroy them simply because they prayed.

Pointing fingers is easy. However, a revival – or great awakening for most – begins at the personal level. It’s time I take time to pray humbly before God. Not rattle through my prayer list, but ask God to move in my heart because, “Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?”

“Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?” Jonah 3:9.
© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/pray/

No comments: