11-28-15 My Grand Adventure


I like blessings. I like feeling good. I like being liked. I love being loved. I hate being hated. And I expect life to be this way all the time. When it is not I can get in a bad mood - not every time, but at times I do.

God blesses me every day. However, I get things backwards sometimes. Instead of being grateful for the good days I get mad because God allows bad days. The point of the bad days is to appreciate the good ones. As I think on this, I realize that I could have all bad days.

I am grateful for the meds that help me live with PD. For some reason, some days they don’t work. I don’t know why. I get frustrated when the meds don’t work. This reminds me of Jonah. He was glad for the gourd plant providing shade. The Bible doesn’t say that he was thankful. When God took it away, Jonah got mad. God didn’t have to give it to him in the first place.

I am going to paraphrase this verse in Jonah to apply it to me. “And one day, God prepared Parkinson’s disease (PD); and it messed with Kevin’s brain. So much so that he struggled with symptoms, and sometimes he wished it was all over and he was in heaven with no PD. And God said to Kevin, ‘Doest thou well to be angry for the blessings I have given you?’ And Kevin said, ‘I have every right to be angry!’”

Everything has a purpose. Everything God did in Jonah’s life was for him. Jonah could have been praising God for all the things He did. He could have been enjoying this grand adventure. He could have been spending time with God on the hill watching a great awakening sweep through Ninevah with joy in his heart.

The question for today is: Am I grateful or grumpy about my personal grand adventure?

“And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live. And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.” Jonah 4:8-9.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff
https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/my-grand-adventure/

No comments: