1-1-16 I Need to Quit Listening to Me


A ventriloquist can tell himself anything. He can deceive himself through the misdirection of a character. Well, at least he can tell himself that. It seems he can get away with saying some awful insults because he can blame it on the character. “I didn’t say it, Ipsy Clangenbottom here did.”

Laying my ventriloquist characters aside, I hate when I deceive myself. I am good at it. I believe me even when I know I am lying to myself. I have some serious arguments with myself at times, but the good thing is that I always win. Then again, maybe that isn’t always good. At least it is when I talk myself into believing something I know is wrong.

I can justify to myself that I can worship God in the wilderness, but the reality is that I don’t really do any worship at all there. I can tell myself that God understands, but the reality is that He understands but does not approve. I can tell myself that no one can live the Christian life 24-7 and that I can let myself go now and then, but the reality is that I need God to live Christ-like.

I remember that God had just told me in this passage to remove all superfluity of naughtiness from my life. Now He tells me the secret to fill the void. I need to quit listening to me and listen to God!

 “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” James 1:22. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/i-need-to-quit-listening-to-me/

No comments: