1-13-16 Are They Worth the Effort?


When I was in Bible college my wife and I had a Sunday School bus route. It happened to be the longest route with the rowdiest kids. The Sunday School Superintendent even told me to quit bringing those kids to church. It was a very difficult ministry at times. But if we didn’t pick them up for church, who would? They might never know someone cared or that Jesus died for them otherwise.

After we dropped off all the kids, we would clean the bus. It didn’t take that long. I know it is only kids that probably wouldn’t notice. But we felt they were worth it. Would we take extra effort to do so if the adults were using the bus for a special activity? Of course, so why not the kids.

It doesn’t matter who is coming to church, whether it is a celebrity or a hobo, they deserve a clean, comfortable place to sit. They need to know someone cares and that Jesus died for them. At the same time, the person with notoriety needs to hear the gospel just as plainly as a homeless person. They are equal in God’s eyes.
James is saying that we should treat everyone equally – God does.

I am glad that someone felt I was worth the effort and reached out to me. I appreciate all those that made the church a comfortable and welcome place to attend.

“My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?” James 2:1-4.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/…/are-they-worth-the-ef…

No comments: