1-21-16 You in Trouble

For some reason rules were off when the phone rang. I remember Mom on the phone and I took up running through the house. I was zooming at a very high rate of speed and jammed my toes into a leg of a piece of furniture. Suddenly, the fun was gone and my toes hurt big time. Mom cut her phone conversation short, stood up and yelled all three of my names. There I was holding my toes, crying and expecting sympathy and she used all three names. I was in trouble, too.

When Mom called me by my first name, I was in good standing. Even if her voice didn’t sound happy. When she called me by my first and middle name, I was on shaky ground. I felt the call of play and the call of my mother equally. But when I heard all three names, then I was in trouble. If I ever heard all three names without the buildup of the previous two stages, I was in really big trouble.

We had lots of rules, or it seemed to me. I didn’t have to break all of the rules to get into that much trouble. Just one would suffice. That morning I had broken a rule and broken my toe.

I don’t have to break all God’s laws to be guilty. Just one makes me guilty. Without Jesus to forgive me, I would be in serious trouble. I can never be good enough to get into heaven otherwise.

“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.” James 1:10-11.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/…/21/you-in-trouble

No comments: