2-23-16 Tongue Whisperer?


As I kid I would day dream about falconry and ferreting – usually during Civics class. I could see myself sleuthing out the location of a nest, capturing a falcon, hawk, or eagle and training it to hunt for me. How cool! Also, black-footed ferrets were so cool. I wanted to train one to seek out rats, prairie dogs etc. by going down their burrows and dragging them back to me. Then Grizzly Adams came on TV. Wow a trained bear! Oh, and Flipper. I still don’t remember what Civics class was about.

I do wonder who tamed the first killer whale, much less trained it to perform. Who trained an elephant to work? Whatever happened to the first guy that tamed and trained tigers and lions? Who became the first grizzly bear whisperer?

During the really bad winter of ’68, we had a mink adopt us. He became fairly tame because we would bring him/her the spoils of rabbit hunting expeditions. My uncle had raccoons that were tame enough to take food out of their hands. My dad had a squirrel that would do so.

It amazes me that there are people that can train the deadliest of animals, yet can’t control their tongues. There are dog whisperers, horse whisperers, even a water buffalo whisperer, but I don’t see anyone offering their services as a tongue whisperer.

This reminds me that I cannot control my tongue at all times. I need God to help me control it.  

“For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.” James 3:7-8.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/tongue-whisperer/

No comments: