3-11-16 Why Do You Ask?



 “Do you have an El Cheapo, double-sided, in-side-out, stubby, extra-strength, rubber-handled, bolt killer?”

“Why do you ask?”

“I was wondering if I could borrow it for a minute or two.”

“Nope, buy one like I did.” Shortly after I entered the world of auto body repair, I discovered that the techs did not like loaning out their tools to one another. The tools often failed to return or came back damaged.

My dad has a plaque in his garage with a rusty broken tool mounted to it along with the words, “This is the only tool you can borrow.”

God disinclines to acquiesce to my requests at times, too. He knows that my motives are not right. He knows I need to ask for the right thing in the right way. He knows that if I ask amiss, that it wouldn’t be a blessing to me if He answered my prayer.

When I make a request of God, I need to take some time to analyze my motives. Is it for my carnal desires or for His glory?

“Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.” James 4:3.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/…/…/11/why-do-you-ask-2/

No comments: