3-14-16 Faithful Fidelity


A wife has a sixth sense. She knows when a husband’s thoughts or eyes wander. She sees this the same way God does – as unfaithful fidelity. If this attitude grows into a habit it becomes faithful infidelity. She expects nothing more than faithful fidelity. She expects to be the center of my focus. If not, our relationship takes a hit. Instead of sweetness, there is enmity.

I have wondered from time to time how “faithful” also means “fidelity.” As I thought on this verse this morning, God helped me understand it. In this passage, James is illustrating just that idea. I have faith in God – I believe in Him. With this in mind, I also have devotion toward Him. But if I become a friend of the world, I have forsaken Him. I cheat on Him. I become an enemy of His.

The first time I ever read this verse I didn’t understand why James would call believers adulterers and adulteresses. Seems pretty harsh! Then he explains. If my thoughts and actions veer away from Jesus, I am committing unfaithful fidelity. It is a serious problem in our relationship. If this becomes a daily occurrence, it becomes faithful infidelity, or a way of life.

James hits us believers right on the schnozzola. He lets us know exactly where we stand. If we want a good relationship with Him, He demands nothing less than faithful fidelity.

“Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?” James 4:4-5.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/…/…/14/faithful-fidelity

No comments: