4-5-16 Collectible Junk



Stuff. 
It’s amazing how much stuff I can collect. I am not a collector of anything valuable or collectable, yet the stuff gathers in my house, garage, shed, yard, and closets – everywhere. I know people that put great value on their stuff. They protect it, hide it in safes, or build climate controlled environments for their stuff. In the long run, all they have done is pile up debris.
I like my stuff. I try to take care of what God gives me. But it all wears out, dries out, rusts, falls apart or becomes moth food. Years ago, I did auto body repair. I am sure the only evidence of it is my own pick up. Everything else is either been recycled or is rusting away somewhere. Seems rather pointless to put so much worth in stuff.

James is takingthe concept even further. The rich and powerful end up with a pile debris at the end, as well. This ends up being a witness against them. For example, the televangelist with millions of dollars of stuff actually is a witness against them. The tyrant that has been hoarding the shipments of relief for his people works against him. The wealthy businessman that collects expensive artifacts, but has to hide them against robbers. He can’t even enjoy them.
The point is not to live for stuff, but to live for the Lord. Stuff is temporary. The Lord is forever.
Stuff serves a purpose, but ends up being collected junk.
Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten. Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.” James 5:1-3.
© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/collectible-junk/

No comments: