Because I Can


One day a high school classmate was bragging, “We beat the #@** out of a cripple. Har har. He flipped over his wheelchair and kicked the snot out of him.”

Another classmate asked why they would do that and he said, “Because I can.” 

Quite a scene ensued until a teacher broke it up. Yet, the guy bullied other people whenever the opportunity arose. He usually had his friends supporting him.

This mentality goes into adulthood. I have witnessed leaders of countries kill their own people. Why? I supposed because they can. Attacking another country is totally different. Some abuse their own children. Why? Because they can. Others abuse their wives because they can get away with it. Why do people torture and kill other people? Because others let them.

Now comes the question for me personally. If I could get away with it (whatever it may be), would I be a bully? Would I abuse a weaker, more vulnerable person just because I could? I like to think not because I have to answer to God. He can stop me anytime He wants.

As a Christian, the mind of Christ should be in me and being a bully should never enter my mind. Jesus has all power at His disposal, so He sets the example. He loves, protects and encourages those that are not in power. He does so because He can.

“Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.” James 5:6.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/because-i-can

No comments: