Use the "Off" Button


The news is full of things I cannot control. The best I can do is use the “off” button.

I used to work with a woman that would get so upset with the news that she had to see a shrink of some kind. Her health was suffering because of it. She had a difficult time with me because I held the direct opposite opinion on almost everything. At times I wished I could turn her off, like I could the TV.

I find that social media does not help me deal with politics, morality or my faith. I find myself getting upset at the craziness of this world. It seems to me that common sense has been tossed out the window and has become road kill. Cruel people hurt and kill other people. Sexual deviants want special rights. Christians are having to deal with persecution and intolerance. Natural disasters are reported every day. Predictions of horrible political fallout from every perspective fill the airwaves.

I have two things that encourage me. One I can turn off the device filling my mind with this stuff and go outside enjoy the sunshine, listen to the birds and relax. The other is knowing that Jesus is coming back and will set things right. Meanwhile, like the gardener preparing for a crop, I can care for things in my life until Jesus comes. The gardener’s main concern is tending to his garden, my main concern is my relationship with Jesus.

So, I have not been focusing on the stressors of life, but on Jesus. I just need to keep that focus and occupy until He comes.

“Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.” James 5:7-8.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff


https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/…/19/use-the-off-button/

No comments: