8/17 Ladies Only

Practical Ideas for the Christian School Classroom, Part 2 of 2
Seatwork Folders

When I first started teaching, I collected the students’ papers and put them in a stack that took me hours to grade and sort through. Now I use a folder system. When my students finish their work for the day, each paper they turn in goes into their seatwork folder. Before recess, they take out their folders, and it is easy for me to check and see what is missing. When I collect their work, it is already sorted which saves me a lot of time. The students also have a test folder that they turn in as soon as they finish their tests. Again, this helps me to save time and keep things organized.

Christmas Project

Mrs. Teresa Nash, our sixth grade teacher, gave me the following idea. Since she teaches world history, she has each student choose a country, and they write a paper about the Christmas traditions in that country. They also make a Christmas ornament depicting the country they have chosen, and the ornaments are used to decorate their class Christmas tree. Their Christmas party theme is “Christmas Around the World,” and they bring in food and decorations from the countries they have chosen.

Just Because

A few years ago, I decided to have my students do something special for our preacher. A date was chosen, and we collected some of our Preacher’s favorites. Throughout the day, we left things outside of his door with a note that said, “Just because.” At the end of the day, we gave him homemade cards that read, “Just because you’re our Preacher.” Preacher’s secretary told me that he enjoyed trying to figure out where the treats were coming from.

Notes and Cards

Mrs. Marge Hart, our first grade teacher, is a wonderful lady who has been teaching for almost thirty years. She regularly has her first graders write notes and make cards for people in our church who are sick or just need some extra encouragement. She teaches her students at an early age to be thoughtful of others.


Hopefully these ideas will help you during the school year or will help you come up with even better ideas of your own!

Melinda Gilliam, Schoolteacher, Shenandoah Bible Baptist Church, Martinsburg, WV

1 comment:

JTR said...

The best idea I came across during my School Administration career was "Special Delivery" envelopes: large sturdy envelopes you send home daily - and the parents check and sign daily. They may only have the HW assignment, or the week's verse or poem to learn, but it served as a reliable way to communicate every day with the home...something sadly lacking in most school systems. I would design a weekly sheet (like a calendar) for assignments, and required it be signed every day. Kids never remember - the thinnest paper is always stronger than the strongest mind. It was a bit of a task to get going every year - but once I tried it, I used it for the next ten years in every class I ever taught! It works great.