Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.
Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.
Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.
Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.
Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity. Amen
BIBLE REFERENCE:
Nahum 1:7
Isaiah 25:4
Psalms 91:2
Hebrews 6:18-19
John 3:16
Lyrics: Charles Wesley
Born: December 28, 1707, Epworth, Lincolnshire, England
Died: March 29, 1788, London, England
Composer: Joseph Parry
Born: May 21, 1841, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Died: February 17, 1903, Penrarth, Wales
HYMN HISTORY:
Of the 6500 hymns written by Charles Wesley, this is generally considered to be his finest. It is still found in nearly every published hymnal and has been translated into almost every known language. It is interesting to note, however, that when Charles first presented this text to his brother, John, for approval, it was rejected as being too sentimental. It was not until after the author’s death that the song came into general use. It was first published in 1740 in a collection of 139 hymns know as Hymns and Sacred Poems.
Henry Ward Beecher, noted American preacher of the past century, once wrote,
"I would rather have written that hymn of Wesley’s than to have the fame of all the kings that ever sat on earth; it is more glorious, it has more power in it. I would rather be the author of that hymn than to hold the wealth of the richest man in New York. He will die after a little while, pass out of men’s thoughts, what will there be to speak of him? But people will go on singing that hymn until the last trump brings forth the angel band; and then I think it will mount upon some lips to the very presence of God."
There are various stories concerning the experiences that prompted Charles Wesley to pen these words, though none has ever been completely authenticated. Several of these stories are described as follows: On his return to England in the fall of 1736, following his brief and disappointing experience in the United States, Charles Wesley was caught in a very frightening storm at sea when it appeared for certain that all would be lost. Finally on December 3 the ship reached land. Wesley wrote in his journal for that date “I knelt down and blessed the Hand that hand conducted me through such inextricable mazes.” Some writers state that during this storm experience a frightened bird flew into Wesley’s cabin and sheltered itself in his bosom for comfort and safety. Another account says that Wesley wrote this text while lying under a hedge, having been beaten up by an angry mob opposing his ministry. Still others see this text as a picture of Wesley’s own life as a young man he struggled to find his peace with God before his dramatic Aldersgate conversion experience on May 21, 1738.
A hymn of this quality, however, really doesn't need any popular account of its origin to give it added greatness, The meaningful simplicity of the text is sufficient. It should be noted that 156 simple one-syllable words appear among the 188 words of the text. Christ is presented as a “lover,” “healer,” “refuge,” “fountain,” “wing,” and “pilot” – the all sufficient One. Truly each believer can say with Wesley, “Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find...”
This is a hymn that never loses it appeal for it speaks to the basic need of every human heart, a personal dependence upon the infinite God. More...
No comments:
Post a Comment