8/31 Devotions from God’s Word

In our lives we have this thing called sin.  Below I have listed three things that could help us in our battle.

James 1:15 “Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.”

TIME

In this aspect we have to be mindful of what we are doing with our time. What is important to us? This is one of the areas that we cannot afford to waste for we will never get our time back.  Let us be mindful of our time.

Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”

Psalms 1:3 “And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.”

Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

“Here it means, to rescue or recover our time from waste; to improve it for great and important purposes. Because the days are evil. Because the times in which you live are evil. There are many allurements and temptations that would lead you away from the proper improvement of time, and that would draw you into sin.”

~Albert Barnes

DISTANCE

The second aspect of our sin is distance. The focus here is to stay as far away from it as possible. I don’t want to put myself in the midst of the wicked devises.  Sin is like getting close to a fire.  The closer I get to it I feel the heat from it, and if I get close enough I will get burned.

Ephesians 4.17-32

By putting on Christ, we should forsake the things of this world. We need to stay away from sin completely. Edge of a cliff – how close will you get to the edge…before you fall?

John 15:19 “If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”

John 17:14 “I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.”

John 17:16 “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.”

Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” 

SHIELDING

I need to be protected from this world, and from myself.  Only going to God will allow me to do both of these things.  Here I think of an offensive line in football.  They are to shield the quarterback from the defenders that he might move team down the field.  God is our line…His will help us get down the field.  The problem lies when we get out of the that protection…fair game!

Psalms 91:4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Psalms 115:9 “O Israel, trust thou in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.”

Psalms 119:114 “Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.”

Psalms 144:2 “My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.”

In Psalms there are 16 verses that mention shield…all reference to God!

Ephesians 6:16 “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.”

No comments: