5-2-16 Pinky Promise


“Promise?” My girlfriend, later my wife, asked.

“Yes, I promise.”

“Pinky promise?”

“Pinky promise?” 
I had never heard of such a thing. She explained that two people would lock pinkies to seal the promise. Sounded pretty silly to me. I can’t remember if I did it or not. I’m sure I kept my promise regardless. I couldn’t see how locking pinkies gave a promise more credibility.

Shaking hands, swearing on mother’s grave, swearing to tell the truth in court and such really don’t either. Buying a house has so much paperwork even to the point of one document requiring my signature saying that I really am me. At least my Mom didn’t have to sign it, too.

James is telling Christians that they simply need to keep their word in this verse. Wow, wouldn’t keeping one’s word change our world? Lawyers would go out of business. Police would be able to keep up with crime.

Christians can’t change the world by keeping their word, but it does give our witness credibility that a pinky promise doesn’t. Our witness might help someone come to trust Christ as Savior. Thus, keeping our word might change someone’s world!

“But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” James 5:12.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/pinky-promise

No comments: