2/17 Life in the Parkie Lane

It Ain't My Job             

                                             

While in Bible college, I worked for a convalescent home. One day I was walking with another employee and the boss.  A resident with dementia came wheeling up in her wheelchair and said in her English accent, "I'm thirsty, I'm so thirsty."

My boss asked the two of us whether one of us would get her a glass of water.  My co-worker replied curtly, "It ain't my job."

I went to get a glass of water for her, but she had forgotten she was thirsty by the time I got back.  The boss thanked me anyway.  The other employee just clung to his "it ain't my job" attitude for the duration of my employ there. Whenever he didn't want to do something, I'd hear, "It ain't my job."

Jesus, as the Lamb of God, came to sacrifice Himself to pay for my sins. He died on the cross to pay for the sin of all mankind.  I'm sure glad He didn't tell God, "It's not my job." What a pickle we would all be in! We would beleft to pay for our impossible sin debt with eternity in hell!

The Old Testament records how the Jews would sacrifice a lamb to cover their sins.  It had to be a year-old male without any blemishes.  This was a picture of a lamb to come - Jesus.  John was announcing to all within earshot that Jesus was the Lamb of God come to be sacrificed to pay for all sins, once and for all.

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:2  "And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!" John 1:36 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: