2/26 Life in the Parkie Lane

Gimmie a Chance                                                                                        

When I started driving delivery truck for a linen company in Montana, I met an angry restaurant owner.  She told me to take our products out and not to come back.  I asked her to explain.  She replied that I didn't care about how I did my job and that I always argued with her staff.  I informed her that I was the new guy and that I did care.  I asked her to give me a chance. She did.  I learned to carry extra aprons and towels on the truck and if there was ever a problem with a product, it was easy to solve.  Once she learned I cared, we never had any problems.

The owner had heard things from her employees and assumed that everyone from that company was worthless. I know that I form opinions about people, places or products by things I have heard from others, and many times I find out that I was wrong in doing so. I had wrong ideas about Jesus for years, as well.  In retrospect, I am so glad that I gave Him a chance in my life.

I have had people reject me when they find out I am Christian, or have Parkinson's disease, or even because I am male. I dislike being disliked, I hate being hated. I wish they would give me a chance. Worse than that is when people reject Jesus.  If they reject me it is not really a big deal, but rejecting Jesus has eternal consequences.

Narareth was a little insignificant town. Nothing happened there. In fact, Nathanael spoke of it in a derogatory manner. He had formed a wrong opinion.  However, he did give Jesus a chance and discovered that he had been wrong.  He became one of the twelve apostles! What a life-changing experience!

"And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see." John 1:46


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: