3/17 Life in the Parkie Lane

Busted!                                                                                               

My wife has been down sick with bronchitis.  She had been camped out on the couch feeling miserable with her tissues and cough drops nearby, while I was at my computer writing something or other. She had left her stuff and was working on a project at the dining room table. This meant that Dickens, our Yorkie, was on his own recognizance - usually no problem.

Dickens was busy with something.  My wife got up and checked on him.  When she asked him what he was doing, he worked his way over to my office entrance.  I came out and saw a dog with a guilty look on his face. I asked him what he had been doing and he looked very remorseful.  He had discovered a world of tasty taboo substances and the thrill thereof. He had sampled every cough drop and scattered them around on the living room carpet. He now felt busted. Even though he will do it again if he gets the opportunity, our presence condemned him - he felt guilty.

As a human, I love taboo things, too.  I know they are wrong, but its fun - until Jesus comes along.  It was completely natural for me to sin before I trusted Christ as my Savior.  I enjoyed my sin, unless a Christian came along. Then, I couldn't ignore the guilt.  I was under conviction. Jesus didn't come to this earth to condemn me, but to save me from my sins. 

Even though I am now saved, I am not perfect. I still sin, but I am much more aware of Jesus.  I enjoy life when I am right with Jesus.  I am miserable if I choose sin instead. I don't want to be busted.  Sin is only fun for a while, then the consequences come along and I am miserable.  Jesus doesn't want me miserable.  He died for my sins, so that we could have a great relationship.

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:17 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: