3/23 Life in the Parkie Lane

You Are Not Listening to Me                                                                         


"You never listen to me." My wife said with "those eyes."

"I was listening."

"What did I say?" She demanded.

"Something about water skis. I didn't answer because I was trying to figure out what you wanted with water skis."

She sighed, "I asked if you had seen my car keys. You weren't listening."

"Let me explain.  Sometimes I don't hear you because you were in the other room. It wasn't that I wasn't listening, I simply didn't hear anything to listen to. Sometimes I hear you, but ignore it - I was listening, just not acknowledging such. Sometimes you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher - wah, wah, wah, wah - something to do with the tone of your voice, I believe. But, if I didn't want to listen, I would put my fingers in my ears and say, 'la la la la la la la la' loudly. Since I never do that, you can rest assured that I always listen to you."

People react to Jesus the same way.  Some distance themselves from the message so they won't be able to hear it, some ignore the message, some tune out and hear wah, wah, wah, wah, and some essentially stick their fingers in their ears and drown out the message with other noise.  Yet, some will listen to the message. Some receive the Word and some reject it.  Those that have received it, place their seal, or stamp of approval, upon the message with change in his/her life.

"And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony. He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true." John 3:32-33. 



© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: