3/25 Life in the Parkie Lane

The Fortune Cookie                                                         3-25-14


My wife and I stopped for Chinese food Sunday after church and, as usual, they gave us a fortune cookie.  Usually, it says something irrelevant, witty, complimentary or just plain stupid. However, this time it said, "A wonderful and thrilling time is in your future."  This got me thinking (a dangerous and unpredictable phenomenon, I know).  It made me uneasy, even a little frightened, and at least slightly apprehensive. Let me explain.

Many times the Bible, and experience, has shown me that trials and tribulations are really blessings in disguise. God engineers a problem in my life, which brings me to Him in prayer and He brings me through it.  Still, I get anxious at the prospect of a new trial.  At times, I think I have had enough character-building events, and it is time to retire from such things. However, God knows I need them. 

Thus, to think of a "wonderful and thrilling time is in my future" makes me wonder if a new trial is coming or a trip to a theme park is in store. Truly, the most wonderful and thrilling times have been times of God answering prayer over a theme park! In fact, in the midst of Parkinson's disease, I can look around and say, "I have been blessed."  My point is that I am excited about what God has planned for me in the future

"Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation." 2 Corinthians 7:4.  


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: