3/26 Life in the Parkie Lane

The Open Hood                                                                                   


There is nothing like an open hood in a parking lot to attract car-guys and know-it-alls.

Years ago, a car-guy friend of mine drove his mother to church in her car.  After church, they hopped in the car, he put the key in the ignition, turned it and…nothing.  As soon as he opened the hood, the advisors came.  "Sounds like a bad solenoid to me." "No, it’s the Bendex." "Does it click when you turn the key?"  "I can drive you to town to get a new battery." "I got some tools in my truck." "Anybody got jumper cables?" "It's probably the blinker fluid or the muffler belt." "C'mon, be serious." "It's the starter, I had one go out and it did the same thing."

They tried cleaning the battery posts, hooking up jumper cables, scratching their heads and grumbling. Eventually, the advisors grew tired and hungry and left.  My friend gave up and called a tow truck.  The driver backed up the truck and climbed in the driver's seat to turn the key and shift it out of "park." Just then he said, "It was still in drive, let me try it in 'park'." He did so, turned the key and it started right up.  My friend turned several shades of red as his mother gave him that "and you are a car guy" look. 

He had received a lot of advice, some of it good, some of it not so good.  It reminds me of all the advice I receive when something happens in my life.  The advice that is not Biblically based is really not counsel at all. Lots of stuff sounds good on the surface, but really is shallow. I use the Bible as my rule of thumb as to whether advice is really worthy counsel or not.

"There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD." Proverbs 21:30 


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: