3/3 Life in the Parkie Lane

Probable Possibilities                                                          


"Worry is sin," the preacher said. I preached it, too, but that statement doesn't help much. It's easy to preach and teach, but being human, worry still comes around. "Don't worry, be happy," makes me want to smack the person saying it. 

Even when I am having a good day, I know my Parkinson's is there, producing uneasiness.  Will it stay at bay, or will it act up? How can I not think about it? How can I now wonder what the future holds?  How can I see others in a more advanced stage and not wonder, will that be me one day? 

I do realize that wringing my hands, fretting and fussing are sin. It tears me up inside, which just makes things worse physically.  I am learning to give it to God and focus on today. My attitude has changed. I used to get upset on bad days, as if it was going to be like this from now on. Then, on a good day I would rejoice, "It's gone, it's gone," but it never was gone. It was always there, and would show itself again. Now, I appreciate the good days and ride out the bad days.

The idea is not to focus all my attention on the unknown. Probable possibilities are not guarantees. I don't know what the future will bring.  It is just more prominent in my consciousness now, because I can feel my PD. The awareness of it does not go away.

I am not supposed to be full of care or anxious over nothing.  Instead, I am to unload my concerns upon the Lord.  Oh, and I am not to forget to be thankful for what I do have. 

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Philippians 4:6 


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: