5-1-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

Pray Day                                                                                             


Too often, I find myself setting aside prayer as a last resort for problems.  I know I should pray first, but my pride wants to do what I can first.  That usually doesn't go well. When it comes to things I cannot do anything about, I find myself throwing my hands up and not doing anything - including prayer. 

Then someone comes along and reminds me of my responsibility as a Christian and as a citizen to pray for my country. Maybe I don't want to pray! Maybe I just want to fuss, fume, criticize and complain about my government, my President, and other leaders both local and national! This National Day of Prayer business ruins a good bad attitude!

(The National Day of Prayer is an annual day of observance held on the first Thursday of May, designated by the United States Congress when people are asked "to turn to God in prayer and meditation").

My country, my President and leaders at all levels, and those serving in the military deserve my prayers. God never intended prayer to be a last resort, but a daily heartfelt expression of concern and request for God's wisdom and protection for them. This includes giving thanks - there we go, ruining a good fuss again.  How can I be thankful and critical at the same time?

All I can say is: Lord, thank you for the reminder. 

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. I Timothy 2:1-2.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: