4/16 Life in the Parkie Lane

What's Up Chuck?                                                                                      

I used to work with a know-it-all named Chuck.  He loved to tell everyone how to do their jobs.  One day, he walked into my area and stood in the doorway watching my co-worker and I do our jobs. We had learned to pretend not to notice because we always regretted opening a dialogue with him.  As we worked, someone walked by and said, "What's up Chuck?" I said to my co-worker, but loud enough for Chuck to hear, "Vomit…upchuck is vomit."  Chuck stared at me a moment, stuck his tongue out at me and left as we "chuckled" about it.

My wife and I have always loved Yorkies - cute, cuddly lap dogs with enough spunk to drive off larger dogs. Yet, I have caught every one of them doing nasty things. They will yell derogatory remarks at neighbors, mailmen and strangers, unless I get after them. They will roll around on their backs on something dead or disgusting. If a dog finds something in the lawn to eat, it's undoubtedly gross.  The absolute worst thing in my opinion, is that a dog will upchuck and then go back to his barf and chow down.  Nasty, yuck, yuck, yuck.

Of all the positive traits dogs have, God chose a nasty habit to teach us something. Just like dogs, we as people don't think our sin is so bad. However, God gave us an unforgettable visual of how revolting our sin is to Him.  So, what's upchuck?  Sin.

"As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.” Proverbns 26:11

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: