4/5 Life in the Parkie Lane

Yeah, Whatever…                                     


When I was pastoring, a former member who was struggling in life told me, "Well God hasn't struck me with lightning yet." At one point, this person had asked God to save him, but had walked away from God. 

I responded by saying, "I don't want to be sitting next to you when He does."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

"Don't you remember what Christ has done for you?  Don't you realize how good He is to you every day? God blesses you every day. He puts up with your sin and is waiting and waiting for you to return to Him."

So many years of my life went by without God.  I knew Jesus died on the cross for me, but I despised what He did for me.  I spurned His goodness, forebearance and longsuffering toward me.  I didn't realize the purpose of His goodness of God at the time.  He hadn't forgotten me, or decided to ignore me. He didn't want me to think He didn't exist.  He wanted me to see His goodness and repent. Instead, I took His goodness for granted.

God can take a life-changing event and use it to bring us to Him, but He would rather use His goodness to accomplish the same purpose. 

God is so good to me. I am a sinner saved by grace, undeserving of His goodness.

"Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" Romans 2:4.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: