4/6 Life in the Parkie Lane

Just Talk to Me                                                                       


Thank you for the world so sweet / thank you for the food we eat / thank you for the birds that sing / thank you God for everything / amen.

I remember as a kid, I recited that prayer every meal.  It meant nothing. It was simply something Mom wanted me to do - a vain repetition.  The "Lord's Prayer," although taken from scripture, can become just empty words, too.  Prayers I make up myself can become just as empty, if I recite them thoughtlessly everyday.

When I trusted Christ as my Savior, I learned that I now had a relationship with Him.  He doesn't want a rote rendition, He wants me to talk to Him.  What a difference!  I can bring my concerns to Him.  I can bring my praises to Him.  He can understand my feelings, whether good or bad. I can talk to Him about anything. I can even fuss about things. I need come to Him for forgiveness.

At first, I had the idea that that was selfish.  I would pray for others, but not myself.  I would keep things to myself.  Then one day I realized that Jesus was telling me, just talk to Him, nothing more.  He became a friend and confidante rather than an order-taker.

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.” Mattew 6:7.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: