4/7 Life in the Parkie Lane

On This Spot, Nothing Happened                                                     


If one was to go back in history and research the historical happenings on the spot I am sitting, I am sure that on this spot, nothing happened. How much history can happen on prairie land? Other than someone building my house on this location, nothing historical was ever recorded about this spot. 

However, there is a spot nearby that means a lot to my wife and me.  There is no marker there.  Actually, the spot is now somewhere in the floorplan of Shopko. I could not tell you where the pastor's office used to be, it could be in the electronics department or sporting goods or even shoes. 

On one particular Sunday, we attended Eastside Baptist Church, which used to meet in a building where Shopko now stands.  The pastor spoke on being "saved." After the service I asked the pastor what that meant.  He explained how Jesus died for my sins, that I was a sinner on my way to hell, but God had provided a way to avoid that.  Jesus had paid my sin debt.  That day, my wife and I repented of our sin and asked God to save us.  We believed. The spot really doesn't matter as much as the event in our lives.

Jesus came across a well with historical significance. It was a landmark, I suppose, similar to saying that we got saved where Shopko not stands. That wasn't the point as much as it would become a special place for a particular woman.

"Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour." John 4:5-6. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: