5-10-14 Life in the Parkie Lane


Delivery Service                                                               


 "How has it been going?" I asked an evangelist freind of mine as we greeted one another after not seeing each other for quite some time.

 "Mean, sometimes life gets downright mean." He replied, "At the same time, God is so good.
 
This idea that we will never get disappointed, discouraged, down, depressed or even despair even though we are Christian is wrong. We experience all the difficulties of life as everyone else does. Maybe even more so than some folks - at least I like to think so when I am throwing a pity party.
 
This passage reminds me that tough stuff will happen - even to the point of despair - even to the point of wishing for death. God uses this to bring me to the point of not trusting in myself - to the aha moment of, "I can't fix this." I cannot trust in myself. When I have tried that, I make a mess of things and cause myself more grief.
 
The greatest part of this passage to me is that He delivered me (past tense), doth deliver me (present tense) and will yet deliver me (future tense). I have God's help each day. My past has no power over me, fears of the future cannot hurt me, and each day is in God's hands, even if it gets downright mean.
 
"For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead: Who delivered us fro so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us" II Cor 1:1-10.
 
Copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: