5-12-14 Who's In Charge?

Who’s in Charge?                                                           

 
While working as a clerk in a Medical Records Department one night, an odd fellow came in and demanded his mother’s medical records.  I had the authority to grant his request if certain criteria was met.

The hospital had no records of the name he gave me.  He came up with a couple other names that had nothing in common. Since, there the hospital had no record of any of those names, I had to deny his request.

 This angered him.  He demanded to talk to someone in charge.  I told him I was that person on this shift. He returned later with the nursing supervisor.  She agreed with my decision. He kept demanding to talk to someone in charge - my manager - to fulfill his request.  However, he could do nothing more than I could do. The nursing supervisor finally called him and he told her exactly that. 

No amount of attempts to circumvent me helped him whatsoever. He just couldn’t believe I had enough authority or knowledge to do my job.

In this passage, Jesus was having a credibility problem with the Jews. They didn’t believe He had the authority to make the claims He was making.

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself, so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself. And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. John 5:24-27

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: