5-25-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

Boredom is Blessings                                                                    

                                   
As we traveled by AmTrac through North Dakota to NW Montana, no one paid any attention to the countryside through the uneventful monotonous scenery of the plains. Once we entered the mountains of NW Montana, the people crowded the windows wherever they could.

On our return trip going from NW Montana to North Dakota, the people on the train were bored with the mountains.  No one seemed to care about the rugged scenery! They had seen many mountains already. It seemed their world now consisted of the inside of the passenger car, oblivious to the world passing by their windows. The only thing that drew their attention enough to look out the window was when the train slowed enough through an unusually tough climb.

As my wife and I traveled along through New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, and South Dakota, on our recent vacation, we have seen a wide variety of terrain. The windswept sandstone rock formations in New Mexico, the rugged red mountains in Colorado, the sagebrush desolation of the desert plains, and the well-watered farmland filled with corn and soybeans of eastern South Dakota.  All areas are beautiful in their own ways. What a wonderful creation this world is!

I am amazed at myself at times.  I can get bored with the blessings of God in my life and fail to appreciate all He has done! The days boredom reigns actually means I am blessed. I am reminded that the tough days, due to Parkinson's or whatever, actually hold a bigger blessing, if I just look outside my "passenger car." The wide variety of the terrain in America alone reminds me of all the areas of God's blessing in my life and drives home this verse.

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thessalonians 5:18.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: