5-26-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

The Wife of My Youth                                                         

Thirty-five years ago, on this date, I married my wife! We vowed ourselves to each other, and by God's grace, we have kept that vow. We said we would grow old together and guess what? We are there! At the time, those that had been married twenty-five or more years seemed sooooooo old. Somehow, it doesn't seem that way these days.  The threshold for old is always twenty years ahead of me.

The nest is empty now. Yet, I still rejoice in the wife of my youth.  She is my favorite person in the entire world. There is no one I would rather spend my day with than her.  Prior to marriage, we did everything together.  We even went grocery shopping together and we still do that.  We still work on projects together.  We trusted Jesus as our Savior together; we were baptized together and have worked many ministries together through the years.

The observance of our anniversary hasn't been filled with expensive stuff, trips or memorable experiences. However, we have always spent them together. For example, one year we did some repainting on a step-van for a linen company - together.

We still enjoy doing little "I love you's" in our day-to-day lives.  A candy bar, cappuccino, or small item that we know they other would like.  Nothing expensive, just a way to say, "I am thinking of you."

She is the source fountain of happiness and rejoicing for my life and I thank God for her.

"Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth." Proverbs 5:18 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: