5-27-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

Stick By The Stuff                                                           


Like it or not, we all have to make stands in our lives, Christians especially.  Someone will come along and challenge our wherewithal. That's how we learn to stand strong.

When we were raising our kids, my kids were a great to help me, especially on Sunday morning.  They made sure my clothes looked right, my hair didn't have some rat's nest left over from the night before, my tie was on straight, my clothes matched and if I had my Bible along on Sunday morning.  They didn't do this to be critical of me.  I never told them, "Stop it, you are judging me!" I knew they loved me and wanted the best for me.

As parents, we watched over the kids. We made sure teeth were brushed, shoes were polished, attitudes were good, and that we left on time.  We did this out of love for them. 

As a pastor, I realized that the preacher preaches the Bible, not because he loves chewing people out, but because he loves his flock. He is always ready to preach, which includes bringing things to people's attention (reprove), correcting (rebuke) and teaching what's right (doctrine) patiently and persistently (longsuffering).

He will stick by the stuff, he will stand with the Word of God.  Just like parenting, he needs to stand up for the Word of God. People will always know what he believes, whether they agree with him or not.  They will know where to go when they need answers - as long as he sticks by the stuff. 

We will all have our mettle tested. We are all preachers of whatever we believe. We will all stick by the stuff or back down when tested.

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” II Timothy 4:2.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: