5-28-14 No Answer

No Answer                                                                


A "no" answer is a "no" answer, or is a "no" answer simply no answer, at all? Sometimes a "no" answer is merely a failure to respond.  Maybe it is a control issue for the recipient. He doesn't answer because he has the power not to do so. "Ha-ha, I don't have to respond and nobody can make me." 

This falls under the category of pet peevery for me.  I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it is one of my favorite pet peeves, not just an average annoyance.

Whenever someone fails to acknowledge my text or email with a minimum of a "k," I spend time grooming this pet peeve. I fuss, "Did I do something wrong?" and recheck that I sent it to the proper person. I wonder, "did they receive it and don't care? Did the recipient nod their head? Are they going to address the topic? Should I seek someone else to contact?"

The point that really rubs the fur on this pet peeve the wrong way is when the recipient acts like their failure to respond is my problem.  "Of course, I received your text and am dealing with it."

That is a non-answer.  How are they dealing with it? Are they ignoring it?  Is a non-answer better than no answer? 

I believe a little "common courtesy" would leave this pet peeve dying of neglect, and that is all right with me.

"Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous" I Peter 3:8.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: