5-31-14 Parenting Myself

Parenting Myself                                                          

A couple years after high school, I spent a summer in Yankton, SD.  I made a lot of dumb mistakes that summer and one of them was to split the cost of rent of a two bedroom apartment with a guy I knew from vo-tech.  I should have known someone nick-named Booshmonkey, would not have his life together. 

We both set our respective alarm clocks for seven o'clock.  I would get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, wash my dish, brush my teeth and leave for work at 7:45.  He, on the other hand, remained in bed regardless of the alarming reminders from his clock every few minutes.

We had various disagreements throughout the summer, but his biggest complain was that
I didn't make sure that he had responded to his alarm before I left for work.  I would consistently tell him that I wasn't his mother and that he was all grown up now. 

This passage reminds me that I should grow up spiritually as well.  I cannot blame my parents for my dumb mistakes.  I cannot blame others for my sin, as well. I am a grown up.  I am to parent myself.  Oh, I argue with myself about my parental decisions at times.  Sometimes I disobey the parent in me and reap the consequences. But, all in all, I need to parent myself.

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ" Eph 4:14-15.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: