6-1-14 Proper Sponging


Whenever we had company over when I was a kid, my sister and I always ended up with KP duty.  I washed and she dried the dirty dishes.  It wasn't that washing was more important, it was that she was slow and I wanted to get done.  She could stay and dry dishes long after I was done.

Anyway, the little rectangular sponge with a scrubber on the backside usually sat on the sink by the faucet. It would be stiff and dried out, which, in that state, rendered it worthless.  To get it usable, I had to submerge it so it could absorb up the water.  This almost instantly turned it into an instrument of fun - I could through it at my sister - splat!

Leaving a trail of dribbles across the kitchen and dining room floor to wash off the table without wringing out the water usually brought a reaction out of Mom. Mom required me to wring out the water to make it wet, but not to wet. This made it useable.

Once finished with the dishes, I placed the sponge in its place near the faucet.  By the next day, something in the kitchen stunk.  Mom discovered it and reprimanded me for not wringing it out before walking off.  Looking back, I am glad she was civilized and did not wash my face with the stinky sponge to teach me a lesson.

God intends for me to be a sponge (I even have the scrubber on my face - my beard). I not to be all dried out and worthless, but I am to soak up Godliness. But, I am not to just soak it up and keep it in until I stink as a Christian.  I am to share Godliness. Like a sponge, I am to be used to have any worth as a Christian.

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. John 7:37-38

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: