6-14-14 Let Sleeping Beauty Sleep

"Shhhhhh." Mr. Larsen, the teacher, told the vo-tech class as he pointed at one of the students who was sleeping peacefully on his desk, drool pooling on his book.  He motioned to the class to leave quietly and had my class find our seats just as quietly.  "Let sleeping beauty sleep," he said and began teaching the class.

The unconscious student woke up suddenly, realized something was wrong and began to look around.  With confusion displayed across his face, reason eluded him and panic took over.  He looked at all the people in the room wildly, grabbed his books and stumbled for the door trying to get his body to go from neutral to high gear before it was ready. The rest of us had a good laugh - and learned never to fall asleep in Mr. Larsen's class again.

It is easy to become complacent and fall asleep spiritually.  I struggle to stay awake in church services sometimes. I absolutely hate falling asleep during a message - it is rude and I miss out on something God had for me. Often I turn on the TV and take a nap rarely missing anything. I need to wake up to have what God has for me - time is almost up (our salvation is nearer than when I first beleived).

Some people are sleeping.  Instead of letting them sleep, we need to gently nudge them awake and get them to listen to the Gospel. Jesus is coming soon, we need to be awake and ready.

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." Romans 13:11. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


* The name of the teacher has been changed because I can't remember his real name. He is inadvertently anonymous. 

No comments: