6-16-14 I'll Follow the Guy Ahead of Me

"Can we turn left in this construction?" I asked my wife the other day as we sat facing west on 10th and Sycamore in Sioux Falls.

"I think so."

"I'm not sure how to get through this, so I'll follow the guy ahead of me."  I said, as the traffic light turned green.

The tall full-sized Dodge pickup truck took off as if he knew where to go and that he could get through it at a brisk pace. I followed him, but not quite at his quick pace.

I started hearing "Bap…..bap….bap…bap..bap, bap, bap bapbapbapbapbap," as he ran down the flexible lane markers. I had to slow down and decide on which side of the markers I should be - which I managed without incident.

"I don't think he knows where he is going." My wife and I both said - not quite in unison, but close enough to be unnerving.

"I'm not following him anymore." I said with the kind of confidence stemming from the masculine ideal of controlling the vehicle and all the occupants therein.

"Good idea. If you had followed him, I would have said something."

This occurrence reminded me of the fact that we all follow somebody.  In my life, I have followed stupid people and smart people.  But the greatest is following Jesus.  That said, I also know that some people will follow me.  Thus, I should stay in my "lane" and not run down land markers. 

"Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God." III John 11. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: