6-19-14 Smile It Can't Be That Bad

As I finished a book signing and was packing up a lady walked up to me and said, "Smile it can't be that bad, my goodness!" Then she walked away without allowing me to respond.

I wasn't feeling sad, tired and drained maybe, but not sad. Parkinson's disease can cause "masking" - an expressionless facial expression. I hear similar comments from time to time.

I began thinking about these kinds of comments and realized that, yes, it can be "that bad" because hard, difficult things happen, people lose loved ones, they can receive bad news from the doctor and so on.

My thought this morning is: rather than demanding a smile from someone that looks down, how about giving them one of mine. Rather than putting someone on the defensive, I can be a bright spot with a little cheerfulness.  Besides, it helps my countenance, too.

"A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.” Proverbs 15:13.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: