6-20-14 What! We Were Supposed to Know This Stuff?

"What! We were supposed to know this stuff?" cried all the students in class when they saw they exam placed before them.

My pastor taught the Baptist History class for the college I was attending at the time.  He loved Baptist history and could carry on extensively telling about events, both past and present.  The class caught on to this early in the semester. 

The professor/pastor would come into class prepared to teach a lesson.  We were to take notes from his presentation - he did not give the notes in handouts.  We enjoyed getting him to take rabbit trails and tell funny stories about people, places and events. This became our favorite class, until exam day.

How could he expect us to know the stuff he never taught us?  We learned to keep him on track so that we could pass his exams. 

How easily I am distracted and prefer to be entertained! The problem comes when I am responsible to know the stuff God wanted me to learn earlier.  I know that I forget most of what I learn, but some information sticks. I am supposed to know this stuff. 

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Timothy 2:15.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: