6-21-14 I Wanna Be Different Like Everybody Else

 "I wanna be different, like everybody else," seems to be the mentality of young people.  I know because I was young once.  Young people don't want to be strange, except maybe to the older generations. The humorous aspect of this is that they want to be different, yet fit in with their peers, which means they aren't really all that different after all.

I don't mind being unique or maybe even eccentric (hat doesn't sound as bad as being odd, strange or weird).  I am not concerned with fitting in, but I also don't want to stand out like a clown at a funeral. I am happy being me.  

The Bible uses the word, "peculiar."  I think of peculiar as a word with negative connotations, but that is not the case.  This Bible word carries the meaning of possession, unique, one-of-a-kind, or collectable. Thus, it is a good thing to be peculiar! God considers me worth having as a one-of-a-kind collectable possession! In fact, that is what He intended for me all along.

God chose me as a collector finds a special item, I am royal priest - a representative of God of great significance, I am set apart (holy), a collectable item for the purpose of giving glory to God.  He took me from the darkness of sin and placed in marvelous light - He saved me.  I came from obscurity to a place of prominent display for Him.

I don't want to be different like everybody else, I want to be special to God. 

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light” 1 Peter 2:9.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: