6-24-14 Empty Bags

On rare occasions, we will get dry thunderstorms.  We get the lightshow, the noise and wind, but no rain.  In times of drought, this can be extremely disappointing. A woman we know calls these clouds empty bags.

I worked in an auto body repair shop early in my adult life.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, with some exceptions. One of which was when Mr. Been-There-Done-That-and-Had-More-Fun joined the ranks of the employed at that shop.  Despite his lack of experience, he felt he could tell everyone how to do the repairs on their projects. 

After a couple weeks, they fired him.  He didn't know what he said he knew.  Since I was lowest on the employee ladder, I received the assignments to fix the work he had messed up.  I hate repairing the consequences of ineptitude - especially when it isn't mine.

This guy spouted off about himself and convinced the management that he could do the job better than anyone else.  He turned out to be an empty bag - nothing to him after all.

How easy it is to think too highly of myself! How easy it is to think that I can do things without God!  I can only imagine how seriously annoying this must be to God when I do this.

"Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift is like clouds and wind without rain." Proverbs 25:14.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: