6-25-14 Marking Marks

Lately, the psychologists have been fussing that using a red pen when correcting tests can cause psychological damage to students. I now know what I can blame my problems on - the red pen.  The "red pen" has left its mark on me.

Some instructors I have had over the years went nuts with comments, scribbles and slashes in red ink.  But, I think the real damage to my psyche came by their relaying of their anger and disgust at wrong answers by the pressure they used and the size of the check mark.  In retrospect, I have determined that they were merely taking their anger out on me because of the psychological damage inflicted upon them from failure to teach the concepts to their students. 

The Bible says I can mark people.  I can decide who to follow and who not to follow and mark them.  I picture myself running up to someone, taking a red Magic Marker and putting a plus or minus on their foreheads.  Obviously, the Bible doesn't mean that. I am to simply take note of certain people and follow the good examples and not follow the bad examples.

This brings up another aspect. Someone could run up to me and make a mark on me! I hope to get good marks, not marked as worthless. 

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them." Romans 16:17.

"Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample." Philippians 3:17.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: