6-26-14 Dizzying Logic

I have a skewed perception on life.  I see things differently, or at least my thoughts arrive at a different destination than many people.  Such as the word "menswear" is it "men's wear" or is it "men swear?"  Funny things are everywhere. 

People do many things because they always did it that way.  I stirred things up a bit in Bible college when I asked, "Why do preachers pronounce "saith" as "say-eth" as if they have a southern accent?  The word, "said" isn't said that way, "saith" is supposed to be "seth." Look it up in the dictionary."

One would have thought I had spoken blasphemy! The only reason the other students could come up with is that that is the way it is supposed to be pronounced, because that is the way everyone pronounces it, and has always have pronounced it. That's rather dizzying logic in my book.

My theory is that by always doing something the same way, it becomes a habit and eventually a tradition. Philosophy and deceitful ideas can start the same way. The truth is abandoned and replaced with intellectual blah-blah.

My music professor in Bible college said this, "Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent." Thus, if I practice something wrong, I will always do it wrong.  Next time somebody pronounces, "saith" as "say-eth" tell him/her its wrong and then duck.

Don't mess with tradition, even if it's wrong, right?

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: