6-27-14 Choosing w/o Judging

"Let's see…which package of strawberries should I get?"

"Don't judge." said a package of strawberries.

"But I see mold on some of the berries." I protested.

"Just buy me, you shouldn't judge, you know." 

"But, I have to make choices every day." I said, as I put the package into my cart, against my better judgment.

"Do you judge the donuts, too?"

"I don't want any donuts."

"Are you prejudiced? What do you have against donuts? You're judging without giving them a chance!"

"I didn't know that strawberries were so judgmental." I replied.

"I'm not judging, I'm just sayin'…"

"You're judging me, about making judgments!"

"Do you realize people are staring at you?"

"You're just trying to get the spotlight off of you! Besides, this is what happens when ventriloquists shop."

"Fine, just put me back on the shelf and do what you want." The strawberries demanded.

I returned the package to the shelf and chose some nice big red ripe strawberries without any hint of mold.

"You are so judgmental." The offensive package yelled after me, trying to make me feel guilty. 

The first few verses of Matthew speak of not being hypocritical.  They teach that if I must make judgment calls, make sure I stand up to the same criteria. I have to make judgments everyday.  The idea, then, is to motivate me to live up to the same standards.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." Matthew 7:1.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: