7-16-14 A Fall in the Lake

"I think I will catch the biggest fish today," challenged Kerr, our church fishing expert and guide for my church's annual Men's Fishing Day a few years ago.

"Careful," I warned, "To paraphrase the Bible, pride cometh before a fall in the lake." We all laughed and found our own access to the lake to see if we could better Kerr's challenge.

After I had gotten nothing but a wet fishing line, I decided to try another spot.  I climbed up the bank to the road and saw a trail of what looked like wet humanoid foot prints going in the same direction I was walking.  Eventually, I found the source of the soggy shoes - Kerr!

"Hey Kerr, what happened?"

"I fell in the lake." 

"Uh, huh."

"Don't say nothin', I know, I know, pride cometh before a fall in the lake."

It isn't funny when I let pride get in my walk with God.  Pride tells me I can get away with things.  However, God has a way of humbling me. I have found it is better for me to humble myself and come to God in sorrow and repentance BEFORE He does it for me.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18.



© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: