7-19-14 Only Human

"STOP, LET ME OFF!" I hate this ride. "God, life is just too hard, I don't understand it. LET MEEEE OOOOFFFFF!

Ever feel like quitting?  I know I do at times. Sometimes I want God to stop this ride called "Life" and let me off.  It just gets too hard.  Sometimes I don't know what God is up to, so I want to quit.  It can be so confusing. Sometimes I feel physically lousy and just want to go to heaven early.

This world is full of options to quit.  If a job gets tough - quit.  If a marriage gets difficult - quit. People can be "unfriended" on Facebook with a click of the mouse.  Of course, this works the other way, too.  Bosses fire employees, friends part without trying to reconcile, FB groups "dis-member" without explanation.  Our society teaches that quitting is quite ok.

I like the saying, "Quitters never win and winners never quit." How often we are ready to quit on God because He isn't doing things the way I think they ought to be done!

When I feel like quitting on God, I think of the words Peter said in response to Jesus' question. Where else can I go?  Who else has hope? Who else can offer eternal life?

I think God puts these times in my life to force me to take a lengthy gander at who He is. Do I believe that He is the Christ, the Son of the living God?  That settles it.  Why would I abandon that for a counterfeit? Jesus is there everyday for me.

Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:67-69

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: