7-2-14 I Earned It


I had a few jobs that I disliked immensely.  One of which consisted of doing janitorial duties at a hospital.  I carried a pager in case someone had a mess requiring immediate attention. I used it to call myself up and tell me I was doing a good job.  When I got especially aggravated with the job, I would tell myself that I was only in it for the money.  At least, it made me chuckle. I could honestly say that I earned every dollar I made, which wasn't much but appropriate for the job.

Revelation 20:14 says, "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." Death - eternal separation from God in hell - is an appropriate wage for sin. Prior to knowing Jesus, I earned that wage. I was in a pickle.

The good news is that I received a better offer.  I could quit earning the wage of death and accept the gift of eternal life!  Something for free that I didn't have to work for.  A preacher showed me that God had a gift for me and I could accept it or reject it. 

I could continue earning the wage of death or I could accept the gift of eternal life - my choice. I simply had to walk away from my sin and embrace Godliness.  I did.  I am not perfect by any means, but God saved me because I believe that Jesus died to pay for my sin.  He died in my place!

The gift of eternal life is available for anyone to receive. 

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. " Romans 6:23. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: