7-21-14 No Foolin'

"Gramps, I need help!" said the voice on the phone.

"Who is this?"

"You know, this is your grandson?"

"Joey? Is that you? What's wrong?"

"I'm in Mexico. I was going from the airport in a taxi with my friends and the cops stopped us and arrested us.  I need $998 right away or I will have to go to jail. Just go to the customer service counter at Walmart and wire the money through Western Union."

Thankfully, the grandpa in this story did not send any money.  It was a scam. 

"But it sounded like Joey, and he knew where I lived and where I could go to wire money to him. He even called me gramps, like Joey does."

I am not quite as naïve as I used to be.  At least, I like to think I am not. However, I can't see someone's heart.  I can't always recognize a con. I can't discern their motives.  Sometimes, I wish I could. On the flipside, God knows I wouldn't be able to handle it if I saw the ugly side of people.  Only He can still love them despite their sinful hearts.

God knows all about me.  He knows whether I am genuine or a fake.  He knew from the day He chose Judas Iscariot to be one of the Twelve that Judas was a devil.  He also knew Judas had a function to perform later on.  He knew Judas would betray Him.  He knew Judas' heart. None of the disciples could tell this about him.

The concept of God knowing our hearts can be disconcerting or comforting depending on the condition of our hearts - and we can't scam God!

Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve. John 6:70-71.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: